Skip to main content

Week 9: Reading and Writing


Firstly, the "Readings" overall have been a tremendous amount of help especially when coming up to our prototype. The morning lectures where we all went over the "Readings" together was especially useful and helped with time-management so most of the year and myself didn't spend too much time on the articles. 

My favorite one so far was the "Game Design Document" or "GDD" this is where we discussed about the importance of a "Game Design Document" and how it provides help before starting on your game prototype. This excited me the most because it was the beginning in creating our own games. I looked at articles and videos about "GDD's" first on finding a good template or creating your own, then putting your game design idea onto the document such as:

1. A summary of what the game is about.
2. A description of the layout of the game.
3. Who is the games target audience e.g. kids, teenagers, adults.
4. Where the game is set e.g. in space, another planet etc.
5. The controls and mechanics of the game.
6. What platform it will be used on PC, XBOX, Playstation.

Source: Myself


For many weeks I didn't do most of the readings and tasks and honestly didn't think I'd catch up I missed quite a few but caught up during the mid-term and was able to be on the same level as everyone else in my year. The project itself I have been on top of my game is turning out really well the first person controller I discussed about in my previous "Prototype" blog has been working perfectly and I now move onto the NPC's of my game. Although I have implemented quite a few assets from the asset store into my prototype and I hope to change that with the terrain sequence and the overall look of my character and world.

The tutorials themselves were really helpful, I do believe I did spend a good bit of my time when doing them which kind of unmotivated me to all of them together on a certain day which would then pile up with other assignments. I do understand most of the code that comes with a C# script as it was explained in these videos but I had to do a lot of recap when looking back at the codes and what each role they had towards the game working.

Throughout this module, my interest in game design as risen exponentially especially in Unity; the final outcome of a completed game is a great feeling after the hard work and timing but into it. Although the tutorials were there to help, I hope in my prototype I will show off my own unique design in my solely designed game.

The feedback on applications on Slack and Twitter have been great and so useful one thing I didn't take on before the mid-term was the one to one meetings; when I did one set up after the break it helped me immensely in catching up. This module became my most enjoyed one in this year cause of the help and feedback. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prototype: First Playable

  Source: Myself For my project this week, I worked on getting my character moving around the terrain and testing that out with the "on ground" feature that was discussed in our Unity tutorial 3 and put into our C# script . We had the player, jump and move that is what I wanted to mainly focus on and this was a difficult task and I had to go over the tutorials again just to be sure but I got it working in the end!  My character's view will be first person in my game so I had to add a FPS controller to the player , I had to get one from the assets store off Unity, adding the main camera to the player was and angling it so it was attached above the character's body was quite easy; getting the camera to move with the player was ever more difficult. These videos provided me with great help into attaching my FPS controller and camera to my character! Attach the camera Adding the FPS controller

Introduction

My name is Aaron Mulholland, I am 19 years old and I'm in my second year of college in TU Dublin doing Creative Digital Media. The module in which I'm doing this blog is for Multimedia Development 1 and I hope to pass this.... hopefully XD.  Before heading into TU Dublin I first went to a PLC in Dunboyne and did the exact same course I'm doing now; after completing my year there I decided I wanted to take a career in the art of designing on computers as I heard many positives about this chosen career especially in the money ! Technological University Dublin (TUD) logo   The hardest part of my first year occurred during the Lockdown during the early stages of Covid-19 when I was in my second semester. It was a tough time for work and trying to work at home and online with limited resources such as cameras, adobe software and the Mac's that the college provided which was where I did most of my work for the modules and to move from that to my Windows laptop was very diffi

Game Design

Firstly, What is a game? A game is designed to create entertainment, relaxation and in a way let the player or players enjoy a place where they can be something else but to also have fun. Before going into the process of a game you first have to understand "what is a game?". Games were first just a wooden board "chess,poker,checkers" etc. or just using your imagination to create entertainment for yourself or others. Now that technology was brought in consoles" Playstation and X-Box" etc.                           How gaming started off                                                              How it is played now Brainstorming and planning What will be the name of my game? What will be the sole objective? What genre will it be? How will I create the world and levels in which the game revolves around? What will be my characters? Who will be the main villain? These are the questions that should be asked before designing a game.  The pre plan is where your