Skip to main content

Game Design


Firstly, What is a game?

A game is designed to create entertainment, relaxation and in a way let the player or players enjoy a place where they can be something else but to also have fun. Before going into the process of a game you first have to understand "what is a game?". Games were first just a wooden board "chess,poker,checkers" etc. or just using your imagination to create entertainment for yourself or others. Now that technology was brought in consoles" Playstation and X-Box" etc.

                         How gaming started off                                                            How it is played now


Brainstorming and planning

What will be the name of my game? What will be the sole objective? What genre will it be? How will I create the world and levels in which the game revolves around? What will be my characters? Who will be the main villain? These are the questions that should be asked before designing a game. 

The pre plan is where your group or yourself sits down and figures out what your game will be. Genres are the way to start in my opinion superhero, fantasy, romantic, horror, retro arcade etc. these ideas will start off the story then; will it be a man saving a princess, a hero saving his city, escaping a mental hospital filled with crazies. Creating characters, creating the levels, the reward at the end or just a questionable ending! What now? Now completed do I have more to complete, a reward that helps build up your gaming profile?



Comments

  1. Hi Aaron! I love your definition of a game you really did explain it pretty well and yes technology has really changed the way we play games today. The brainstorming and planning stages on making a game you also explained really well and also the image you included and linked simply describes the process of game making. Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YE this seem well put and has all the info you needed good work homie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron, Nice to see you went straight in and explained what a game is. And the genres you were thinking about, superhero, romantic, horror I like the sound of those. Your Game Brainstorm blog here is nicely put out not too clustered, the design process image you included with the link was a good way to describe the process in making the game. Hope you do well in making ur chosen game, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aaron , Nice to see that you didn't waffle around the concept of the blog and just explained what a game is, and the different genres you were thinking about such as horror and romance. The way you've brainstormed your game is well done, it shows you've done the research, the image you used in this blog post with the link is a good way to describe the entire deign process. Hope you have fun making your game, whatever theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Aaron, its Mia here just read your blog post there and it was really good. I liked that you jumped right in and explained exactly what a game is in your own terms. Have to say the way you explained your brainstorm on how to make a game was great it was very clear and precise.
    Best of luck this semester
    -Mia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prototype: First Playable

  Source: Myself For my project this week, I worked on getting my character moving around the terrain and testing that out with the "on ground" feature that was discussed in our Unity tutorial 3 and put into our C# script . We had the player, jump and move that is what I wanted to mainly focus on and this was a difficult task and I had to go over the tutorials again just to be sure but I got it working in the end!  My character's view will be first person in my game so I had to add a FPS controller to the player , I had to get one from the assets store off Unity, adding the main camera to the player was and angling it so it was attached above the character's body was quite easy; getting the camera to move with the player was ever more difficult. These videos provided me with great help into attaching my FPS controller and camera to my character! Attach the camera Adding the FPS controller

Introduction

My name is Aaron Mulholland, I am 19 years old and I'm in my second year of college in TU Dublin doing Creative Digital Media. The module in which I'm doing this blog is for Multimedia Development 1 and I hope to pass this.... hopefully XD.  Before heading into TU Dublin I first went to a PLC in Dunboyne and did the exact same course I'm doing now; after completing my year there I decided I wanted to take a career in the art of designing on computers as I heard many positives about this chosen career especially in the money ! Technological University Dublin (TUD) logo   The hardest part of my first year occurred during the Lockdown during the early stages of Covid-19 when I was in my second semester. It was a tough time for work and trying to work at home and online with limited resources such as cameras, adobe software and the Mac's that the college provided which was where I did most of my work for the modules and to move from that to my Windows laptop was very diffi